According to the government website, gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/canada/entry-requirements, British citizens usually are not required to have a visa to visit Canada for a short amount of time. However, an Electronic Travel Authorization is necessary If you stay in the country for an extended period or if you have another type of British nationality. It is a good idea to check with the Canadian High Commission.
Upon arrival, personnel will ask if you have ample funds to support yourself while visiting, even if you have come to stay with family or friends. If you have a criminal record or experienced an arrest, even one that did not result in a conviction, speak with the offices of the Canadian High Commission before you enter the country.
Websites exist that are not authorized but are charging for the submission of visa applications. Naturally, the Canadian government does not endorse, nor is it associated with such sites. If the website seeks additional fees beyond the norm, do not proceed.
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Tourists arriving in Canada by airplane must now have an eTA Canada to enter the country. In fact, you will need an eTA to board your flight to Canada.
There are these exemptions:
- You possess a valid Canadian visa.
- You have a British-Canadian dual nationality and are not allowed to apply for an eTA, but must present a valid Canadian passport to board the plane.Passport Validity
- Your passport is valid for the estimated duration of your visit.
- Having a passport with under six months validity may slow your interaction time with immigration control.
UK Emergency Travel Documents
UK Emergency Travel Documents or ETDs are accepted to enter Canada, for airside transit, and for exiting the country.
The government accepts ETDs for eTA applications.
- When children are traveling with only one parent, a letter of consent from the non-traveling parent might be necessary.
- Immigration officers may question a child using appropriate and easy-to-understand language to assess any concerns of child abduction.
- Go here for further information.
Traveling to the US
Persons admitted into the US under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) may visit Canada for a short time and are likely to be readmitted to the United States under the VWP if their travel status has not changed. The US entry requirements are here.
Canada and the United Kingdom are uniquely bound together by mutual migration, shared military history, language, systems of government, and their shared Head of State and Monarch.