ESTA visa generates itself automatically if you are eligible to travel to the United States of America through Visa Waiver Program. The system determines if the travelers are a threat to the security of the State. Although ESTA visa should not be mistaken for a visa since it does not meet legal requirements to serve as a USA visa whenever a visa is required. However, travelers traveling on a valid US visas are not required to apply for an ESTA. An approved ESTA visa allows a traveler to board a carrier to travel the United States. Although to use a private carrier, they must be signatories of visa waiver program carrier.
How to apply for an ESTA Visa.
- You pay application fee
- Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application form
- Schedule your appointment online.
- Visit the US embassy on time and date for your visa interview
You may require a new Visa if:
- If you have a new passport
- When you either change the first and or the last name
- If you amend your social status i.e male or female. ESTA form requires the traveler to choose the gender they feel comfortable with since there is no gender X in the application form
- When you change your citizenship
- When you are convicted or you contract a contagious disease. For you to reapply for a new visa you will be required to explain your circumstances.
There are two types of fees you will pay for you to get an ETSA visa:
- Processing fee
- All applicants who need an electronic travel authorization are charged a processing fee
- Authorizing fee
If your application is approved and you are authorized to travel to the US under the Visa Waiver Program, there is an additional fee you pay.But if the application is denied then you only pay the processing fee.
Validity of ESTA Visa
They are valid for two years or until your passport expires. You can as well take multiple trips t US without applying for a new ESTA. An approved ESTA only allows 90 days stay at a time and there should be enough time span to avoid the suspicion by the CBP officers, that you are trying to live in the US. And if the ESTA visa expires while you are still in the US it will affect your departure and so you may be required to stay longer as you renew.